What to Do After a Fire
After the Fire
- Before entering the property, check with the fire officials to make sure it is safe to re-enter.
- Contact your insurance company as soon as possible. Do not remove anything from the home until the insurance company has O.K'd it.
- Make sure your home is protected from the elements and illegal entry.
- Cover all openings in windows, walls, and damaged doors with plywood.
- Make sure all other doors and windows that are in working order are locked and secured.
- If the house is going to be unattended, contact the Conneaut Police Department at the non-emergency number (440) 593-7442 and inform them of the situation.
- If you RENT.... Contact the property owner or representative to inform them of the situation. It is the owner's responsibility to secure the property.
- If you have renter's insurance contact your insurance agent immediately.
- Your utilities may have been disconnected to protect you and the firefighters from the dangers of the gas or electricity.
- If the temperatures are below freezing it will be important to protect the water pipes from freezing.
- Only the utility companies may restore your utilities.
- Have the mechanical, electrical, and gas systems checked by a professional even if they do not appear damaged.
Other Important Tips
- Be sure to protect your personal belongings from the elements, either inside the building or by moving them to a safe location.
- Retain receipts from any money you spend. These receipts may be necessary for possible insurance reimbursements.
- You may need to contact the following: Social Security Administration for new Social Security cards, Driver's License Bureau, credit card companies, newspaper, and cable TV. Contact the post office to have your mail stopped or delivered to a different address.
Phone Numbers You May Need
- Salvation Army (440) 992-0276
- American Red Cross (440) 998-1020
- City of Conneaut Fire Department, Non-Emergency (440) 593-7460
- City of Conneaut Police Department, Non-Emergency (440) 593-7442
- City of Conneaut Housing and Zoning Division (440) 593-7406
- Ashtabula County Building Dept. (440) 576-3737
- Conneaut Water Dept. (440) 593-7420